Condoms are formulated away from fine plastic and produce a barrier to stop illness and semen from moving between individuals while having sex. They may be useful for vaginal sex, anal intercourse and dental intercourse.
Condoms are crucial for avoiding the spread of STIs. They may be able notably lessen your threat of illness, and even though they cannot provide 100% security against all infections that are sexually transmitted.
And keep in mind: there is more to intercourse than intercourse! There are numerous techniques to enjoy physical closeness along with your partner with out oral, genital or anal intercourse. Safer intercourse also contains a lot of alternative activities like kissing, cuddling, rubbing, therapeutic massage, stroking or masturbation. It definitely pays to play it safe if you have vaginal, anal or oral sex!
Can I always utilize a condom?
Make use of condom each time you have actually vaginal or rectal intercourse to minimise the possibility of getting or moving on STIs. Think about condoms that are using dental intercourse, particularly if you have plenty of intimate lovers. Even although you avoid using a condom every time, or even for all sorts of sex, usage one as often as possible—this is safer than never. It is not worth using a condom every time in future if you have occasionally not used a condom that does not mean.
Do condoms work?
In preventing STIs
Bacteria, or perhaps a virus such as for example HIV, cannot go through unbroken rubber! Therefore if used correctly, condoms will stop the spread of the virus such as for example HIV. Condoms additionally lessen your possibility of getting gonorrhoea and chlamydia. Keep in mind, some STIs may be sent by experience of areas that can’t be included in a condom, therefore utilizing a condom cannot guarantee which you will perhaps not get an STI.
In preventing maternity
Condoms reduce your potential for having a baby. Studies also show that when 100 ladies utilized condoms each time they had intercourse for starters 12 months, just two of the females would have a baby.
Exactly what are the dangers of condoms?
The maximum threat of making use of condoms is that they can perhaps not work precisely whether they have been damaged by
- temperature from located in your pocket for days;
- tearing available the packet and piercing the condom in the time that is same
- having passed the expiry date.
One other danger is the fact that it is really not utilized precisely, as an example:
- perhaps perhaps not placed on in no time;
- maybe perhaps not found in combination with a lubricant to prevent tearing;
- not held on during withdrawal.
Practice placing condoms for a banana in personal if you should be ashamed, so that you know very well what you’re doing and feel confident with them together with your partner.
Also, keep in mind! If you're being addressed for thrush with antifungal therapy (such as for example Canesten), this could easily harm the plastic of the condom and it also might not work properly.
If a tear is discovered by you in your condom after intercourse:
- Visit a grouped family preparing hospital for the “morning after” pill within 72 hours, if you're worried about maternity, or
- go to a intimate health hospital if you should be worried about STIs for advice from a medical expert.
Condom principles for teens
Where can teens get condoms?
The way that is cheapest to obtain condoms is on prescription from your own doctor or Family preparing center — see below to get your nearest household preparation clinic. You may want to buy them from intimate wellness clinics and youth wellness clinics. They could be purchased at supermarkets, pharmacies, dairies, bars, groups and toilets that are public. They’re everywhere!
Ending HIV encourages remaining safe by utilizing condoms while offering a mixture of tools to homosexual and guys that are bi avoid HIV transmissions. Dudes (cis or trans) who possess intercourse with dudes can order condoms 100% free from their site and they’ll be mailed in unmarked envelopes.
Simply how much do condoms cost?
The cheapest means to obtain condoms is from your own Family preparing hospital, intimate wellness center or youth wellness hospital, or on prescription from your own GP. Anyone under 22 years could possibly get a prescription for 144 condoms for $3! Clinics will often provide teens a package of condoms at no cost. Therefore no excuses! Otherwise, expect you'll spend $12–$20 for a pack of twelve through the online or supermarket.
Which condoms do I need to utilize?
The key, reputable brands are the ones offered by Family preparing clinics, pharmacies and supermarkets. Be sure any novelty, flavoured or coloured condoms do have the expiry times on them. Condoms advertised in brand brand New Zealand must find-bride conform to ISO E that is 4074:2002.
Does size matter?
Yes, condom sizes do matter! Make sure you or your partner make use of condom of this right size. Condoms are more inclined to break if they're too tight. The girth (thickness/width) of this penis might be much more important than penis size. Decide to try a variety of condom sizes (such as for instance Trim, Standard, Large/XL and Superking/XXL) to get which fits you well, or measure around your penis that is erect using strip of paper to get the proper diameter of condom for your needs.
Which are the advantages of condoms?
- Condoms reduce steadily the threat of unwelcome maternity.
- Condoms decrease the potential for getting an STI.
- Condoms can easily be bought.
- Condoms are really low priced if acquired through the Family preparing hospital.
- Condoms are really easy to utilize.
- There are lots of brands that are different decide to try variations before you find the one that you prefer.
- Condoms don't have any negative effects.
- Condoms assist to avoid cancer tumors of this cervix (the opening to your womb).
Exactly what are the cons?
- Intercourse might feel different—but that does not mean it still does not feel well.
- Some individuals are reluctant to utilize them—you should always be reluctant to possess intercourse with those individuals!
- Condoms could cause an disruption to love making—use your imagination and then make them the main enjoyable.
- Many people are sensitive to rubber—speak to doctor at Family preparing should this be the outcome.
SIMPLY THE INFORMATION is delivered to you because of the Sexually sent Infections Education Foundation (STIEF) - an effort funded by the Ministry of wellness through collective District Health Boards to coach New Zealanders about STIs.